About Sportscards Press Releases
Topps and the Cubs
TOPPS THROWS OUT HONORARY FIRST PITCH
Last Monday (7/16), Topps was given the distinguished honor of throwing out the honorary first pitch before an inter-league match-up between the Chicago Cubs and Kansas City Royals at historic Wrigley Field. Group Director of Marketing Peter Sawkins took the mound for Topps. "It was a huge thrill being on the field and getting to throw the first pitch. The Cubs have been great to work with and the promotion has been a hit among fans and collectors."
On that particular night, the first 30,000 fans in attendance received a special Topps 50th Anniversary rookie reprint card (1985 Topps) featuring Rick Sutcliffe.
In conjunction with the 50th anniversary of Topps Baseball Cards, the first 30,000 fans who enter Wrigley Field on designated dates will receive an exclusive authentic reprint of the following players cards, representing some of the greatest individual seasons in team history. These cards can only be secured at Wrigley Field on the date of the event, and will not be available elsewhere.
* 1958 Ernie Banks (MVP) May 16 vs. Houston Astros
* 1961 Ron Santo ( 1960 Rookie) June 7 vs. St. Louis Cardinals
* 1971 Ferguson Jenkins (Cy Young) July 25 vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
* 1972 Billy Williams (Batting Champion) May 20 vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
* 1979 Bruce Sutter (Cy Young) August 12 vs. San Francisco Giants
* 1984 Ryne Sandberg (MVP) June 23 vs. Milwaukee Brewers
* 1985 Rick Sutcliffe (1984 Cy Young) July 16 vs. Kansas City Royals
* 1988 Andre Dawson (1987 MVP) August 28 vs. Florida Marlins
* 1998 Sammy Sosa (MVP) September 29 vs. Houston Astros